Forum    Info    Links

Organic Gardening Site

making compost

Organic Gardening Forum

Author Topic: making compost  (Read 5039 times)

Michael

• Seed
    • View Profile
making compost
« on: July 08, 2009, 10:01:28 PM »
Hi guys, Michael here, I recently read a book by the Hari Krishnas. It is absolutly frightening what the big slaughter houses do to animals at time of slaughter and also the amount of organo chemicals that go into animal feed which ultimatly comes back to us through the meat. The other frightening facts are the the chemicals that are put onto and into our fruit and veg. I tell you it is enough to turn me into a vegetarian and never eat meat again and also to grow my own using only organic means.

That was a long preamble so now to the reason for my queries (1) I have just read the artical on layering I wont to know if it is feasable to use the layering method, build the compost heap directly on top, knock it down when ready and plant straight into the compost?
                                                                                         (2) I have access to a large amount of pine saw dust, being in the building industry, it is more than likely treated, can I use this in the compost heap and if so in what proportions?
                                                                                          (3) The vegie garden that I am going to make will be 8m long by 1m wide, can you give me an idea of how much compost I will need, using the method in #1 above? I did also read your artical on compost heaps and by my reckoning if I make the heap 1.5mx1.5mx8m this should give me about 18 qubic metres, will this give me enough depth  to grow vegies? 

David Corkill

• Administrator
  • Seedling
  • I will try to help answer your questions
    • View Profile
Re: making compost
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 09:01:21 AM »
Hi Michael
There are plenty of good reasons not to eat meat and to grow organic food so your comments are welcome.

(1) I have just read the artical on layering I wont to know if it is feasable to use the layering method, build the compost heap directly on top, knock it down when ready and plant straight into the compost?
That should work.
(2) I have access to a large amount of pine saw dust, being in the building industry, it is more than likely treated, can I use this in the compost heap and if so in what proportions?
Sawdust will break down in a compost if there is plenty of nitrogen in the heap. Use bird manure or blood and bone to provide the nitrogen. I do not know what chemicals are used to treat sawdust. Many chemicals will be broken down into safer compounds by the composting process but I cannot say for sure if this will be the case with your sawdust. Toxic heavy metals, for example, wil remain in compost.
(3) The vegie garden that I am going to make will be 8m long by 1m wide, can you give me an idea of how much compost I will need, using the method in #1 above? I did also read your artical on compost heaps and by my reckoning if I make the heap 1.5mx1.5mx8m this should give me about 18 qubic metres, will this give me enough depth  to grow vegies? 
That is a big heap! it should be more than enough for a 8m x 1m garden bed. You really dont need more than 20cm depth, so 1.6m of completed compost should be enough, especially if you add a good layer of mulch over the top of the garden. Keep in mind that the size of a compost heap will shrink to about a third of its original volume by the time it is finished (depending upon the materials used in it), so your 18 cubic metre heap might give you 6 cubic metres of finished compost.

siz

• Seed
    • View Profile
Заработай на
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 10:23:18 PM »
Реальная и понятная схема заработка на Биткоин которую можно рекомендовать лучшему другу.
Я сам лично зарабатываю на Биткоин по этой схеме!
Оперативная поддержки клиентов через мессенджеры.
Работа нацелена на весь 2018 год с увеличением стоимости участия в клубе!
Реальные результаты участников первого клуба опыт которых поможет новым участникам.
Без майнинга. Без кранов. Без программ. Без трейдинга.
Заработок без партнерок
Затраты времени: 1 час в неделю
Узнать подробне
Купить курс

GardenAmbition

• Seed
    • View Profile
Re: making compost
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 08:45:16 PM »
I am also vegetarian, meat is flush which only contain proteins and it is not suitable for the human mind.

Copyright © Organic Gardening Forum