Forum    Info    Links

Organic Gardening Site

Eco bokashi

Organic Gardening Forum

Author Topic: Eco bokashi  (Read 2796 times)

Dechen

• Seed
    • View Profile
Eco bokashi
« on: January 13, 2011, 10:23:12 AM »
Hi all, new person here.

I'm moving into an apartment that has a few metres of garden beds in the courtyard, so I'm hoping to get a little vegie/herb/flower patch going. I've been looking at space saving compost ideas, and came across the eco bokashi. Has anyone heard or used it? Any good? The fermentation idea sounds like an easy way to get rid of all food scraps, as well as nourishing the garden.

Would love to hear about anyone's experiences with it, or other composting solutions for a small courtyard space.

Thanks.

daamsie

• Seed
    • View Profile
    • Travellerspoint
Re: Eco bokashi
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 10:40:12 PM »
Hey Dechen,

I know you posted this a while ago (kind of quiet on this forum I guess), but I just wanted to add my answer here for anyone else who might stumble across it. Maybe you already found a good solution.

In my experience Bokashi is fantastic. It is maybe a bit more work than it seems at first. In our case, with a family of four, I'm digging at least one hole a week to put the stuff in. When I dig up the bokashi after it's been in the ground for a couple of months though, the result is amazing - it's just absolutely teeming with worms. I'd highly recommend it.

Another thing I saw recently though, which might suit your needs are worm farms that you bury in the ground. It was a pipe of sorts, with a few holes in the side. the idea is to just fill it up with scraps and worm farm quality worms and you can just keep on adding scraps to it. My main problem with worm farms has always been that they died when it got too hot (it reaches over 40ÂșC here in summer). So having it buried would keep the worms nice and cool and moist while also immediately delivering nutrients to the veggie bed. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the exact product, but I guess a bit of searching would find it. Otherwise, let me know if you're interested and I'll go down to the hardware store where I saw them and find out more details ;)

Peter
Just a hobby gardener, particularly interested in permaculture, organic gardening, etc.

I also run a travel website

LindaJaild

• Sprout
    • View Profile
    • Nothing
Eco bokashi
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 11:02:18 AM »
Well if you guys need call outs done there. Im 5mins away from The Eco Estate.

Copyright © Organic Gardening Forum