Forum    Info    Links

Organic Gardening Site

parramatta grass

Organic Gardening Forum

Author Topic: parramatta grass  (Read 7136 times)

lionsrest

• Seed
    • View Profile
parramatta grass
« on: June 14, 2007, 09:26:34 PM »
we have a dense infestation of parramatta grass & are searching for an organic herbicide to eradicate.  any suggestions please?

David Corkill

• Administrator
  • Seedling
  • I will try to help answer your questions
    • View Profile
Re: parramatta grass
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 07:45:40 AM »
The only organic herbicide that I know of in Australia is a pine oil extract marketed under the brand 'Interceptor'. It is a contact spray which kills the leaves of weeds (as opposed to systemic chemical herbicides which 'get into' a weed to kill it). I don't know how effective it would be against parramatta grass - I suspect that the base of the clump would regrow - follow up applications of the herbicide will probably be needed.

One place you can get it from is http://www.greenharvest.com.au/pestcontrol/weed_prod.html I also have a few old bottles bottles of concentrated Interceptor (No longer available in Australia I believe) which I could sell.

Alternatively you could try vinegar. It works in the same way - a contact spray which kills the leaves of the plants on which it lands. Household vinegar works well on soft-leafed weeds. Parramatta grass might be a bit tough though.

Perhaps you could slash the grass back first before applying either of the above - spraying on the softer regrowth. You would need much less spray this way.

Copyright © Organic Gardening Forum