Forum    Info    Links

Organic Gardening Site

Mites I think and how to control them...

Organic Gardening Forum

Author Topic: Mites I think and how to control them...  (Read 3083 times)

GreenGrub

• Seed
    • View Profile
Mites I think and how to control them...
« on: June 10, 2008, 10:07:27 PM »
Hi there,
Surfing the net looking at sites for gardening and vegetable gardens and came accross this one!  Yippee I thought.  I have planted our vegetable garden as per instructions and advice from the gardening australia organic vegetable garden book.  We have 6 beds and a myriad of vegies all coming up.  We do have however some little red mites I think on the bok choy which are proliferating and making a meal of them.  There seems to be silvery damage to the leaves.  I think they are red mites...I am going to try an oil, garlic & soap spray once the rain clears tomorrow.  Is there anything else I can do? ???  Any advice would be nice.  I have planted garlic in most of the beds to help with companion planting and we have daisies to help bring the bees to pollinate the beans and peas etc.
Hopefully someone will have some advice.

David Corkill

• Administrator
  • Seedling
  • I will try to help answer your questions
    • View Profile
Re: Mites I think and how to control them...
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 08:43:05 PM »
Some mite can be controlled with a spray made from wettable sulphur. The best long term approach iis to have a healthy population of natural predators in the garden, which can be helped with companion planting of small flowers and daisy-type  flowers

Gardening

• Seed
    • View Profile
Re: Mites I think and how to control them...
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 11:56:24 PM »
For more stubborn infestations, spray with pyrethrin or neem oil. Water the plant well before spraying. Both of these products are organic but have a good track record for controlling spider mites. Numerous chemical products are also available for the control of spider mites.

Copyright © Organic Gardening Forum