Forum    Info    Links

Organic Gardening Site

What are the benefits of organic foods???

Organic Gardening Forum

Author Topic: What are the benefits of organic foods???  (Read 5784 times)

stephen

What are the benefits of organic foods???
« on: July 31, 2008, 02:24:03 AM »
Hello everybody, I have heard a lot about people saying and talking about organic foods. I would like to know that what are the benefits of eating them and what are the various types organic foods……….like which one are better for the body and good supplements too.

David Corkill

• Administrator
  • Seedling
  • I will try to help answer your questions
    • View Profile
Re: What are the benefits of organic foods???
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 04:55:39 PM »
Some key benefits that I believe can be gained from organic food are:

1. Clean food. Organic growers do not use toxic artificial chemicals.

2. Nutritional tasty food. Food plants which are grown in healthy fertile soil have greater nutritional value and better flavour than those which are fed with chemical fertilisers.

3. Environmental benefits. Organic farms are better for the environment. They do not pollute with chemicals, and generally are more ecologically conscious.

4. Organic growers do not use genetically engineered organisms.

I prefer to eat organic food which is locally grown, and in season. There is a wide range of organically grown food available, and different people have different opinions about what makes up a good diet. I enjoy a vegetarian diet with plenty of fresh fruit and veges.

Food supplements do not interest me. I like to think I get all I need from a balanced diet of good organic food.

For more information on the health and nutritional benefits of organic food, have a look at the work of Shane Heaton at:
http://www.bfa.com.au/index.asp?Sec_ID=133

Jonhethon

• Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 10:52:06 AM »
Hi,

The organic food is healthier than conventional food  and is the only reason for about 30% growth in the organic food industry since the past 5-6 years.    

Organic Food Benefits

1. Organic products meet stringent standards.

2. Organic food tastes great!

3. Organic production reduces health risks.

4. Organic farms respect our water sources.

5. Organic farmers build soil.

6. Organic farmers work in harmony with nature.

7. Organic producers are leaders in innovative research.

8. Organic producers strive to preserve diversity.

9. Organic farming helps keep rural communities healthy.

10. Organic abundance – Foods and non-foods alike!

« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 10:39:37 AM by David Corkill »

Saftag

• Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 07:38:46 PM »
This is how I see it. Sorry that I'm so wordy.

Nature has provided ALL the basic requirements for plants to grow and thrive for millions of years. We try to mimic that by attempting to grow plants in places that they are generally not ideally suited to. Often that's due to a tricky climate, acid/alakaline soil or just a suburban block that had all the goodness stripped from it by pasture crops or bulldozers.

We can't usually do much about climatic conditions but we do spend a lot of time and energy trying to reproduce the ideal soil/fertility conditions.

When we do, we have the choice of either trying to mimic nature or trusting a chemist and a cost accountant to put the right stuff in a bottle for us.

Let's imagine an Almond Tree.

I think that if we could harvest an entire healthy almond tree and reduce it so that it fits into a bottle we might have the perfect food to grow another healthy almond tree. Unfortunately, we cannot do that so generally people will try the easiest alternative. That being the purchase of a bottle of magic chemicals and hoping that when combined with some sunshine, some rain and some dirt we will magically see a nice almond tree.

Now, often that appears to work reasonably well. BUT what really happens is that over time the almond tree uses nutrients from the soil that aren't replaced by the bottle. So when the soil no longer has, for example, any Selenium in it the almond tree looks ok but the almonds don't have any Selenium in them either. We're eating almonds that are deficient in Selenium so we need to take a selenium pill to make it up. The same might go for Iron or Manganese or any of the many other micronutrients that we need in our diet.

That is often compounded in commercial operations where the almond trees might be pruned heavily and the prunings either burnt or chipped and shipped off as mulch, while weeds and other life forms are discouraged under the tree by poisoning with other chemicals.

On the other hand nature would replace those nutrients in an ongoing cycle. Without humans, animals would feed on the almonds and recycle the nutrients back under the tree as manure. In autumn the leaves would fall and be recycled into plant food by worms and other small animals. Branches would break at times and coupled with the broken down leaves form a layer or moisture conserving mulch.

With humans in the equation there is little natural recycling of the almond's nutrition (because we don't do #2s under the tree) so we still need to add back nutrients. Again, we have the choice of the magic bottle or a natural alternative. Trying to make up the exact mix of nutrients for our tree is obviously quite difficult but if all we've removed from the natural system is our #2s then that can be approximately replaced with animal or poultry manure. We can then build on that by providing a boost in the form of composted plant matter which will replicate most of the nutrients that go to building the plant, in this case an almond tree. That will also provide a bonus in that it improves soil condition and structure which in turn allows the roots to access those nutrients as well as essential oxygen more efficiently thus allowing the tree to put those nutrients back in the nut.

As thinking beings, we know that we cannot survive on multi-vitamin pills alone, yet this is exactly how chemical gardeners are trying to grow plants. A multi-vitamin pill known as an N:P:K fertilizer.

I won't go on about pesticides and herbicides. Suffice to say that if we can find a way of gardening or cropping without Poisons then we're less likely to be ingesting those poisons.

Cheers

rosalind

• Seed
    • View Profile
    • supplylinedirect
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 10:44:38 PM »
Hello everybody, I have heard a lot about people saying and talking about organic foods. I would like to know that what are the benefits of eating them and what are the various types organic foods……….like which one are better for the body and good supplements too.

Organic food hold upto 10-50%  amount higher of nutrients as correlate to the non organic food. Intake of organic food powerful your immune system and support you better sleep.

JustLoveGardening

• Seed
    • View Profile
    • Just Love Gardening
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 02:33:09 PM »
Real Organic Food Production

Global Warming. Health Problems. Obesity. Mental Ilness.
Rising Food Prices. Food Shortages. Declining Food Quality.

All these problems can be solved with one simple solution. Grow your own food in your own backyard. That’s the number one reason why Jonathan and I teamed up to produce Food4Wealth. We wanted to create an easy-to-read, easy-to-understand, step-by-step manual for people who have never grown food before.

I met Jonathan through a mutual friend and we got talking about issues such as food quality and its effect on health. My interest is in how the food we eat affects our mental health and can actually do more harm to our body than provide it with the nutrients we need. I had done a lot of reading and research about health and food and how the food that is grown today has fewer nutrients than generations ago. I explained to Jonathan my concerns and asked him how we can educate the world and effect a change on commercial agricultural practices.

Jonathan then told me how each person can take control and grow their own food which can provide the highest quality vegetables with the most nutrients. I told him how I thought vegetable gardening was hard, takes a lot of time and effort and is unreliable. Jonathan explained to me that this was a complete misconception because many people work against Mother Nature and try to control the process too much. He then explained his ecological gardening method where he spends just a few hours a year looking after his garden and grows all the vegetables he needs.

He told me he doesn't dig in his garden, doesn't weed it and never worries about pests. He never needs to use any chemicals or pesticides.

I then visited Jonathan and saw his garden for myself. It was the most packed garden of food I have ever seen. It didn’t look like a vegetable garden of rows and rows of veggies. It looked like a little forest.

After an afternoon of discussion we decided the best action to bring attention to people was to put Jonathan's ideas and methods into a product that would enable and empower people. We wanted to produce a product that would appeal and attract a wider audience than just experienced gardeners or those concerned about health. We wanted to reach everyday people. So we came up with the name Food4Wealth to appeal to people as a way of saving a lot of money on their food bill.

The problem we identified with people making positive changes to care for the environment is that they generally won’t take action if it affects their lifestyle or costs them too much money. We wanted to make a clear statement that you can do something positive for the environment and for yourself without spending a lot of time, effort or money. In fact, you can actually save money.

With Jonathan's unbelievable wealth of knowledge and 10 years proven experience and my technical and marketing skills we teamed up to produce Food4Wealth. Now people like yourself can learn Jonathan's simple method to save you money, improve your health and do your small bit to help the environment.

Jonathan and I are just a couple of unknown guys with our own separate small businesses. We realized that to get Food4Wealth out to as many people as possible we needed help. We needed people to find our website and that takes time and money. Initially we wanted to give it away for free, but even doing that requires a huge amount of promoting and advertising. It would literally take years to have any kind of effect. We also found that if a person buys it (as opposed to getting it for free) they are more likely to follow through and do it, which is what we really want. We want as many people around the world growing their own food and discovering how easy and rewarding it is.

We hope that the idea of Ecological Gardening reaches out to people everywhere. People are already demanding organic food, but ecologically-grown food (like Food4wealth) goes one step further. Ecologically-grown food is not only organic, but is grown in a way that is self-sustainable. That is a really important distinction, because as Jonathan has explained to me, not all organic food is grown in a way that supports basic ecological systems. In fact, many organic growers are unknowingly causing ecological damage. Ecologically-grown food, on the other hand, is good for both you and the environment. We hope the world will shift back to these ancient ideas of Ecological Gardening which will be much better for all of us.

Food4Wealth is a product built from a lot of passion about some very key, very important ideas. Here's some text from Jonathan's introduction that really inspired me to look at food-growing very differently - and when I really thought about it, they are very ancient ideas that we seemed to have lost in our quest to control our environment rather than work with it:

Introduction.

Traditional vegetable growing techniques require an enormous amount of hard work and maintenance - weeding, feeding and strict planting schedules. There is also the problem of seasonality, allowing beds to rest during the cooler months, producing nothing at all. Then we are told to plant green mature crops, add inorganic fertilizers and chemicals to adjust imbalanced soils. It takes a lot of time, dedication and a year-round commitment to grow your own food the traditional way. But does it really need to be that difficult? Let me ask you this question. Does a forest need to think how to grow? Does its soil need to be turned every season? Does someone come along every so often and plant seeds or take pH tests? Does it get weeded or sprayed with toxic chemicals?

Of course not! And neither will your Food4Wealth plot.

I hope this inspires you to check out Food4Wealth in more detail and hopefully start growing your own food ecologically.
http://www.justlovegardening.net/Organic-Gardening.html

Copyright © Organic Gardening Forum