Forum    Info    Links

Organic Gardening Site

slaters

Organic Gardening Forum

Author Topic: slaters  (Read 4449 times)

old hippie

• Seed
    • View Profile
slaters
« on: November 04, 2008, 06:47:15 AM »
Hi, new member, first post. This was posted in "Vegetables" earlier by mistake.
I have been gardening organically for over 35 years with great success until last year. I always mulch my vegie garden, especially in this awful drought. Unfortunately this provides a home for thousands of slaters, who love to eat emerging sprouts - beans, cucumbers etc. Any ideas on what I can do to deter them?

growing organically for over 35 years and still learning

David Corkill

• Administrator
  • Seedling
  • I will try to help answer your questions
    • View Profile
Re: slaters
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 08:31:51 PM »
Have you tried some kind of physical barrier? Such as cutting the bottom out of an empty yoghurt container and placing it in the ground around emerging seedlings ... or even where you plant the seeds. It might not look too nice and would take a few containers, but it might be practical with larger seeds. They could be spaced out, with two or three seeds per container and thinning out to one plant later.

The only time I have seen slaters damaging vegetables was when large numbers of them were present and they were eating the base of zucchini plants. I think mostly they just eat dead plant matter.

old hippie

• Seed
    • View Profile
Re: slaters
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 06:06:01 AM »
Thanks David, I'll give that a go. They will only need to be 1 - 2 cm tall as slaters can't climb slippery surfaces, and I'm not worried about the look, I'd rather have my beans!
About slaters only eating dead matter - I read that a few places but it ISN'T TRUE!! I have been out at night with a torch and seen them, 10 or so at a time, grawing away at the curve of a sprouting seedling, chopping the top off before it had properly emerged from the ground. It's definitely slaters. What about derris dust?
Thanks again,
Old Hippie.
growing organically for over 35 years and still learning

Copyright © Organic Gardening Forum