Forum    Info    Links

Organic Gardening Site

grey aphids,green grubs,black ants and tiny ants

Organic Gardening Forum

Author Topic: grey aphids,green grubs,black ants and tiny ants  (Read 5777 times)

brett

grey aphids,green grubs,black ants and tiny ants
« on: February 20, 2009, 04:46:40 PM »
gday ppl all of the above insects are givin me grief,with the green grubs and aphids i control them by hand and chilli,garlic soapy spray but they are relentless so i was wonderin if anybody knows hows these insects get on the plants in the first place(means of delivery),usin this info i might be able to slow the process.As far as the ants go ive used heaps of antrid to no avail both types of ant are takin a large quantity of leaf matter from anythin they can get near(small ones mainly like the silverbeat the black ones arnt so choosey).i have every day to do this but still they take a large toll,i cant go to pesticides because i have many bees pollinatin my tomatos,pumpkins and rockmelons.Any help received will be greatly appreciated
THANKYOU TC ALL
Brett

David Corkill

• Administrator
  • Seedling
  • I will try to help answer your questions
    • View Profile
Re: grey aphids,green grubs,black ants and tiny ants
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 04:23:40 PM »
Hi Brett

Grey aphids, as far as I remember, have a flying form and a wingless. When they spread through the garden they are flying. When they settle on a plant and increase in numbers they are wingless. If the wingless aphids are knocked off a plant, they cannot get back up onto it and die, so a firm jet of water to remove them can be effective (within the limits of water restrictions of course). Heavy duty organic poisons such as pyrethrum or neem might do the trick, but are only likely to be as temporary as the garlic/chillie you are using.

The 'green grubs' could be caterpillars from the white butterflies. They are found on cabbages and related plants (broccoli, caulis etc). If you are getting desperate, try using Derris Dust or 'Dipel'. Derris Dust contains rotenone which kills many soft bodied insects (and also earthworms and fish so be careful). Dipel contains a bascteria which poisons caterpillars and grubs.

You can improve your chances against these pest in the long term by improving the quality of your soil and attracting beneficial insects. The simplest way to attract beneficials is to grow plenty of flowers in and around the garden. Small flowers and daisy shaped flowers are the best for bringing in hover-flies and tiny parasitic wasps.

I have never known ants to eat the leaves of veges. They must get hungry out your way! A borax based poison is probably the least harmful way to kill ants.

If you can't find any of the products I refer to in local garden shops, you can try online at Green Harvest or Peter Bennett Organics. (click 'links' on the top of this page to find these sites)

brett

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 04:55:09 PM »
ok so the aphids didnt like the jetstream of spray and seem to be under control as with the grubs,but still the ants are causing major damage they have now decided to eat the insides of the butternut pumpkin flowers(both types of ants black and tiny)the tiny ants seem to have a helper ant with them that is much bigger and its head has large mandibles,these ants are incredibly destructive the ant rid is doin nothing just keeps them low for two days then their back.whats worse is their holes seem to be in the rows of the vegie patch,the black ants are everywhere even in my hibiscus flowers im at my wits end with these little ******** at the moment the best i can do is flick the flowers till they leave futile i ll admit but what else can i do?     PS sry for the barrage of probs..

David Corkill

• Administrator
  • Seedling
  • I will try to help answer your questions
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 07:46:06 AM »
It is possible that the ants are not doing the damage they appear to be. They normally don't eat leaves. What ants do like is the honeydew excreted by aphids. When there are aphids causing problems, there are ants looking after therm. Ants can also be partial to nectar from flowers such as the pumkins have. Check to see if and how the ants are actually causing damage to your veges.

If their nests are in the vege patch that can be a real nuisance. One way to destroy them is to sprinkle a thick layer of diatomaceous earth over their homes. The diatomaceous earth contains tiny sharp particles. It gets into their joints and grinds them to bits. Not very nice so I don't advise it unless you are sure it is needed.

Diatomaceous earth will kill any insect or spider that comes into contact with it. Use with care and don't inhale any. If you have trouble finding any locally and want to act quickly, talcum powder contains diatomaceous particles. (It also contains chemical perfumes etc that you might not want in the garden so it is not the best option)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 01:12:15 PM by David Corkill »

brett

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 03:45:27 PM »
gday david,there arnt any aphids on the pumpkins but your theory on the necture may be right i will watch and see,the ants are in there in such large numbers, but i havent grown pumkins before so im not sure what stages the flower goes through.the tiny ants ive found out to be pheidole megacephala (madeira ant) its an non native ant and will be a problem to get rid of im still in the process of findin info on them.this diatomaceous earth will i find it at nurserys?..it may be the only hope because most of the ant poison need the food source to be removed or no water.
thnx for the help

MelissaF

• Seed
    • View Profile
    • Ingrown hair treatment
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 07:31:22 PM »
Hello,
You can improve your chances against these pest in the long term by improving the quality of your soil and attracting beneficial insects. The simplest way to attract beneficials is to grow plenty of flowers in and around the garden. Small flowers and daisy shaped flowers are the best for bringing in hover-flies and tiny parasitic wasps.
Regards,
Ali.

Copyright © Organic Gardening Forum