Forum    Info    Links

Organic Gardening Site

Getting rid of bull ants

Organic Gardening Forum

Author Topic: Getting rid of bull ants  (Read 19809 times)

Barry

• Seed
    • View Profile
Getting rid of bull ants
« on: February 05, 2007, 10:54:08 PM »
I have some bull ant nests near my veg garden, and they bite harder than the smaller ants. Does anyone have some safe way to get rid of the ants?

David Corkill

• Administrator
  • Seedling
  • I will try to help answer your questions
    • View Profile
Re: Getting rid of bull ants
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 01:03:46 PM »
Some suggestions:

Pour boiling water on the nest.
Dig the nest over with a big machine.
Sprinkle talcum powder or diatomaceous earth over the nest.
Get hold of some borax. (Not ideal for organic gardening but better than other poisons) Mix it with something sweet like honey or jam and use a a poison bait. Put it where other creatures wont get at it. You may need to use the borax a second time with a different sweetener for complete eradication.

Or you could try to carefully coexist - bull ants will eat insect pests so they do have their place in the scheme of things.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 01:10:23 PM by David Corkill »

surfpup

• Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 06:45:18 PM »
hi I am new to this great forum :-)

I live in the bush and have about 12 bull ant nests and probably more hopper ant nests...I have tried the boiling water but the nests are so deep that it doesn't get to the queen (mean as that sounds).  I am going to try the borax-dessert and will let you knnow how it goes!

thanks for the advice...I have been looking everywhere!

cheers,

rosalind

• Seed
    • View Profile
    • supplylinedirect
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 10:41:11 PM »
I have some bull ant nests near my veg garden, and they bite harder than the smaller ants. Does anyone have some safe way to get rid of the ants?

Well, I recommend to use the boric acid. It is just like white powder and this is best and safest to get rid of bull ants. You will be able to get this powder near in local stores or pharmacies. You just have pour it on the nest.

eeplants

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 07:50:26 AM »
Bull ants are my biggest enemy on my garden. They truly bite painfully and so what I did to get rid of them is by using Try Poison Free Ant & Roach Killer from Spray-N-Grow.  They are very safe to use, it works by clogging up insects breathing holes and over stimulating their nervous systems.

Let's see how it will go  :)

Copyright © Organic Gardening Forum