Forum    Info    Links

Organic Gardening Site

earwigs,aphids,birds argh...

Organic Gardening Forum

Author Topic: earwigs,aphids,birds argh...  (Read 5781 times)

brett

earwigs,aphids,birds argh...
« on: March 25, 2009, 06:19:34 PM »
well im totally discouraged and wonderin why i bothered,the broccoli matured but birds took 30%,they lifted up the covering i had over them and helped themselves,aphids i kill then in no time there back they seem to only bother with the brussel sprouts which i think will never grow fruits thanks to this constant attack.finally the earwigs have ruined my corn which i just harvested to find them full of earwigs(6 to 10 per cob),they desimated the chinese cabbage which probably is 90% eaten the 8 plants i had,they also take a small % of my silverbeet there are so many of them i dont know whether to bother to replant the garden, most of their damage was hidden till i pealed back the leaves. I sprayed the ones i could see to no avail during the growth period but i cant fight what i cant see....i have only one positive thought which is if i raise the garden beds with something they cant climb i might be ok...maybe...

David Corkill

• Administrator
  • Seedling
  • I will try to help answer your questions
    • View Profile
Re: earwigs,aphids,birds argh...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 03:39:53 PM »
Sorry to hear the bad news. All that work just to feed other creatures! I do hope this does not completely put you off growing veges - it is such a rewarding thing to do, even though there can be setbacks.

A friend says she prowls the garden with a kettle of boiling hot water, looking for earwigs. She lifts up any likely spot - a rock or a piece of wood - then pours the boiling water over whatever earwigs she uncovers.

You might want to give it a try. It wont get your corn back but it might help you feel better, and save whatever crop might follow.

brett

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 12:23:35 AM »
thnx im gonna try and set it up easier to manage, now i kno the problems i have or if it goes badly again ill just go to fruit trees anyway thnx for the encouragement...it helps lol

kylieluvsart

• Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 09:28:39 AM »
a strong brew of three heads of garlic. boiled in a litre of water can keep most pests away. though I do have two dogs who scare the birds away most of the time

Kendy

• Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 08:34:48 PM »
Earwigs can be a major issue, when in plague numbers. Sorry to hear ypu have had such issues!
As mentioned above,  the garlic spray is a good way to repel pests.
I also find making a solution of liquid soap and water works really well on earwigs and other pests like caterpillars.
Spray on the plants at night (earwigs come out at night). We also found lifting any pots up and spraying any earwigs helped to reduce numbers.
Hope this helps  :)

Copyright © Organic Gardening Forum