Forum    Info    Links

Organic Gardening Site

soil question

Organic Gardening Forum

Author Topic: soil question  (Read 5300 times)

ssil2000

• Seed
    • View Profile
soil question
« on: September 20, 2010, 12:01:02 PM »
hi guys,

I have a raised garden bed, I filled it with an organic loam mix (lots of compost etc in the mix) the issue i have seen is that it tends to crust on the top I have been adding compost everytime i remove a plant to try and get it less loamy but still crusty, i mean i go through it with the hoe and its ok but i'm not sure if i need to be worried about it.

for what its worth the vegies seem to like it in there everything seems to do well, i regularly use seesol which seems to be quite effective as well.

thanks in advance,

ssil2000

David Corkill

• Administrator
  • Seedling
  • I will try to help answer your questions
    • View Profile
Re: soil question
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 11:16:37 AM »
You could try putting mulch over the soil to see if that helps to stop the crust. A sprinkle of gypsum might also help.

Did you buy in the 'loam' for the garden bed? Often what is sold as loam is a fine sandy soil with poor structural quality.

ssil2000

• Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 12:33:21 PM »
I did buy it in, it had a lot of organic material in it, veggies seem to love it, i just mulched it yesterday so hopefully that will help.

thanks for the response.

Green Giant

• Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 10:37:36 PM »
I had the same issue trying to revive an deserted and very sun exposed old garden, when I returned home after years of traveling. Coming from Israel, sealing with sun exposure is a must if you wanna keep your plants alive. I used a combination of Bark, shredded leaves, Home made organic compost and it works great.

I'd love to hear how your experiment works out.

Mog

• Seed
    • View Profile
    • Vegetable Gardens - Vegetable Garden, Gardening Tips, Organic Gardening, Vegetable Gardening
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 03:37:52 PM »
Don't worry too much about it, just mulch it and try putting seaweed emulsion on it.

LindaJaild

• Sprout
    • View Profile
    • Nothing
soil question
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 09:06:04 PM »
anyone have any idea about pottery soil and clay. anyone use this as a substrate. any idea??

Copyright © Organic Gardening Forum