Forum    Info    Links

Organic Gardening Site

Chook Tractors

Organic Gardening Forum

Author Topic: Chook Tractors  (Read 4617 times)

kylieluvsart

• Seed
    • View Profile
Chook Tractors
« on: May 06, 2009, 09:23:28 AM »
Hi everyone I just join the site and I am wondering who of us here has a chook tractor?

Gardening

• Seed
    • View Profile
Re: Chook Tractors
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 03:57:33 PM »
Hi, Welcome to this site.

I am not having the chook tractor but I have heard about it.
The "chook tractor" is a dome-shaped, movable chookpen. The chooks aerate the soil, eat the weeds and fertilise the garden.
But  I didn't see the chook tractor. Will any of you put a photo of the chook tractor?

Saftag

• Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 06:24:40 PM »
I've made a couple of different chook tractors over the years and even a guinea pig tractor. The guinea pig tractor didn't work so well because even though the little piggies kept the lawn mowed nicely they made too much gooey fertilizer - not quite the nice pellets that I'd hoped for. ;D

Here's some pix of someone else's.

rosalind

• Seed
    • View Profile
    • supplylinedirect
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 10:52:17 PM »
Hi everyone I just join the site and I am wondering who of us here has a chook tractor?

Well, I am having the chook tractor. But one of my uncle is using this tractor, So I have the knowledge about this tractor. I think this is the best place for chicken storage and moreover chickens are safe in chook tractor.

ta0q

• Seed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 03:21:30 PM »
I did the chook tractor thing in the vegetable garden over winter. This to allow the manure to be snowed and watered into the soil. But it was cumbersome and problematical, so gave that method away.

I created the beds and paths a metre wide. Not the best width. But for the test. Then placed a poultry ark over the top of the bed area where I wanted the birds, wyandotte bantams, to clean it up. They tended to dig and sometimes dug out the ends or the sides under the ark.

It was also a worry that the ground was so soft that the fox could dig under in no time at all. It was time consuming getting them back in where they were wanted.

I tried it on the paths while the vegetable garden was in production. The intent to dig over the paths after harvest and use this as the bed and make the bed the path for a year. Rotate the areas, but the problem was much the same.

So it sounds good. Maybe with Pekin bantams and on lawn which is devoid of hollows etc.? Suck it and see I reckon, each situation is different.

Copyright © Organic Gardening Forum